Historical Places
Get the Visitors Guide & More! View Travel Guides

Goddard Chapel

Rose Hill Cemetery
Marion, IL 62959
Phone: 618-997-6251
The beginning of the chapel was a project of the Marion Woman's Club.  The women proposed that such a chapel be created and found Leroy A. Goddard receptive.  He countered with a proposal that he would build the chapel if Marion would enlarge its cemetery properties.  The city complied by purchasing 27 additional acres to be laid off into burial plots.  The Chicago banker brought his own architect and contractors to Marion and the cornerstone of the chapel was laid June 12, 1918.  A time capsule which was a copper box placed in the cornerstone contained a brief biography of the donor, and a statement by Mayor E.B. Jackson and City Clerk George C. Campbell telling of the donation of the building.

Go Back »

Upcoming Events

View All
 
text