Formally named Pittsburg on June 25, 1906, this former mining town was established when F.W. Cool opened the Keystone Mine- the first in the area. Cool planned a new industrial community that would be patterned after the ``Smoky City`` of his native Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. From there, the town sprouted and by 1920, there were mines in all corners of the town and became populated by many immigrants. Pittsburg has been described as one of ``people helping people``.