Located on the south side of Rosehill Cemetery with the road leading directly to it, this beautiful monument honors all veterans and also has a special portion honoring two local Medal of Honor recipients.
The monument features an eight-foot base and stands eight feet high. The black stone monument is inscribed both front and back with soaring eagles and other photographic scenes. The monument has bronze seals for each branch of service pressed into its surface. Two flagpoles adorned with the American, state, city, and POW flags offset to the side. There is a lighting system that focuses on both the monument and flags and a 15-foot circular walkway around the memorial.
The Cemetery started in 1884 – Under Mayor L.A. Goddard in 1882, the city purchased over ten acres of land north of Marion for a city cemetery. Work was begun on the cemetery in 1884. The plot (sic) of land, located on the east side of the present highway 37, was 586 feet wide and 748 feet in depth. The original plot filed January 12, 1844 (sic) with the County Recorder provided for 839 lots. Thomas Jefferson Goodall was the first person to be buried in the cemetery on Jun 18, 1884.
The chapel, valued at $20,000 at the time of construction, is built of Bedford stone, with art glass windows, and seats 200 people. The inside walls of the chapel are pressed brick and the woodwork is Flemish oak. The paneled ceiling, the pulpit, and leaded art glass windows have the Easter lily motif. Dedication of the chapel on May 30, 1919, was attended by more than 5000 persons. The chapel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Artist – Russell Bradshaw of Vienna is the artist for the monument.
Waymarking – Find this and other Illinois veterans’ memorials on the Waymarking website to plan your next trip.